Thursday, July 17, 2008

Bobby Murcer

Bobby Murcer passed away Sunday. I was always a big Murcer fan. He was touted as the next Mickey Mantle and unfortunately hit the Yankees as the team was toiling in the bottom of their division. I saw him play opening day 1969 in Washington. He blasted a homerun (that I can still remember vividly) and helped lead the Yankees to a 9-4 or 5 win over my Washington Senators. He could run, field, throw and hit. If I remember correctly, he started at 3b then moved to cf and eventually to rf. He was the type of player I loved to watch hit. Until Mike Schmidt came along, Murcer and Bob Allison were my favorite players. Since I too had Cancer, I can only imagine what he went through the past couple of years. Another of my favorites is gone. I will not forget him and the pleasure he provided as I watched him over the years.

No comments: